Philippines News: FREE

Get an edge on the Philippine Stock Market in this comprehensive tool for Filipinos and foreign investors.
Get it on Google Play

Monday, June 2, 2014

Meralco subsidiary proposes P182-million expansion of Clark facility amid higher demand

Meralco’s subsidiary at the Clark Freeport Zone is seeking regulatory approval for an expansion of its distribution capacity in light of growing demand in the economic zone.

In a filing with the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), the Clark Electric Distribution Corp (CEDC) proposed the construction and installation of a new 100-megavolt ampere (MVA) 230-kiloVolt/68 kiloVolt power transformer at its substation.

The new transformer and related equipment would cost P182.25 million, and would result in an increase of P0.04 per kilowatt-hour in the rates of CEDC customers.

The proposed equipment will address the electricity requirements of a number of new locators and the expansion of existing ones scheduled by mid-2014.

Additional demand would come from Taiyo Nippon Sanso Clark Inc's air separation plant, which requires 9 megawatts (MW); the Medical City Hospital, 3.59 MW; the Midori Hotel, 1.40 MW; the Widus Hotel expansion, 1.09 MW; SM's two business process outsourcing multi-storey buildings, 1.75 MW; MSK's industrial development, 3.51 MW; SIA Engineering's expansion, 1 MW; and Yokohama Tire Philippines' load growth, demand from which was not specified.

"These additional loads will be on top of the growth of native load of 5.79 percent in [regulatory year] 2012-2013 and the expected development of the new areas within the Clark Freeport Zone," CEDC said.

Without the construction of the new 100-MVA power transformer, CEDC said the 80 MW limit of the transmission lines that deliver power to the utility will be breached, resulting in overloading.

This "would make it impossible to accommodate these large load projects," CEDC said.

CEDC is 65 percent owned by Manila Electric Co, through subsidiary Meralco Industrial Engineering Services Corp (MIESCOR). The Angeles Electric Corp owns the remaining 35 percent.

- Interaksyon

No comments:

Post a Comment