Philippines News: FREE

Get an edge on the Philippine Stock Market in this comprehensive tool for Filipinos and foreign investors.
Get it on Google Play

Sunday, May 4, 2014

ICTSI bags 26-year contract to build, operate container terminal in Australia

International Container Terminal Services Inc (ICTSI) has bagged a 26-year contract to construct and operate a container terminal in Melbourne, Australia.

In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange, the Enrique Razon-led port operator said its subsidiary in Australia, Victoria International Container Terminal Ltd (VICTl), today signed a contract with Port of Melbourne Corp (POMC) for the design, construction, commissioning, operation, maintenance and financing of the terminal and empty container park at Webb Dock East (WDE) in the Port of Melbourne.

VICTL is 90 percent owned by ICTSI through ICTSI FE, a wholly owned subsidiary. The remaining 10 percent is held by Anglo Ports Pty Ltd.

Under the contract, VICTL has the right to, one, design, build and commission the new terminal at berths Webb Dock East 4 and Webb Dock East 5; two, design, build and commission the new empty container park at Webb Dock East; and three, operate the terminal and empty container park until June 30, 2040.

“This new concession represents a major milestone for ICTSI, not only because it is our first concession in Oceania, but also because it establishes us as one of very few truly global operators with facilities on six continents," Christian R. Gonzalez, ICTSI head of the Asia-Pacific region said.

“It is a premier project in a country that is considered to be a leader in infrastructure development, and we plan to introduce leading edge and proven technologies that will consistently deliver the highest levels of port performance. We are likewise excited by the fact that many innovations are geared towards ensuring seamless interaction between the Port, the City of Melbourne, and its surrounding communities, something we believe to be critical in the container terminals of the future,” he added.

ICTSI said the investment for the development of the Webb Dock Container Terminal and Empty Container Park is estimated at about 439 million Australian dollars or US$407 million for Phase 1 and 2.

An additional investment of 109 million Australian dollars or US$101 million is estimated to increase the capacity of the terminal to 1.4 million twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU).

Phase 1 of the terminal, to be ready for operation by December 31, 2016, will have one berth of about 330 meters fitted with three Post-Panamax Ship-to-Shore cranes, 23.7 hectares of yard and off-dock area with fully automated operations from the gate to the quayside, delivering an estimated capacity of 350,000 TEUs.

The terminal will be able to handle vessels of up to 8,000 TEU capacity. The empty container park will be approximately 10 hectares and will have a capacity of approximately 200,000 TEUs.

Phase 1 construction of the terminal and empty container park is expected to commence in the fourth quarter of 2014.
 Phase 2, to be ready for operation by December 31, 2017, will have two berths of 660 meters with five Post-Panamax Ship-to-Shore cranes for a total area of 35.4 hectares.

"When fully developed and as required by volume growth, the terminal will have six Post-Panamax Ship-to-Shore cranes and will be able to handle up to 1.4 million TEU annually and the empty container park will have a capacity of 280,000 TEUs," ICTSI said.

Located in the capital of the State of Victoria, the Port of Melbourne is the largest container and general cargo port in Australia.
It has grown with the city of Melbourne and now has around 3,200 commercial ship calls per year and handles over 2.5 million TEUs annually.

Last month, ICTSI's wholly owned subsidiary, ICTSI (ME) JLT, signed a contract with General Company for Ports of Iraq (GCPI) to operate, develop and expand container facilities at the Port of Umm Qasr.

ICTSI last year earned $172.4 million, up from $143.2 million the previous year. It operates ports in Manila, other parts of Asia, the Americas, Europe and Africa.

- Interaksyon

No comments:

Post a Comment